Dr. Ishrat Islam
Professor and Head, BURP, BUET.
- PhD (2008): Ritsumeikan University Kyoto, JAPAN
- Master in Urban Planning (1997): The University of Akron, Ohio USA
- BArch (1991): Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Land Use Planning,
- Urban Design
- Khan, A. M., & Islam, I. (2015). Poverty Reduction and Social Development in Bangladesh. In Spatial Diversity and Dynamics in Resources and Urban Development (pp. 173-196). Springer Netherlands.
- Rahman, N., Ansary, M. A., & Islam, I. (2015). GIS based mapping of vulnerability to earthquake and fire hazard in Dhaka city, Bangladesh. International journal of disaster risk reduction, 13, 291-300.
- Shubho, M. T. H., Islam, S. R., Ayon, B. D. and Islam, I. (2014). An Improved Semiautomatic Segmentation Approach to Land Cover Mapping for Identification of Land Cover Change and Trend. International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology. Vol 12(8), pp. 2593–2602. Springer: DOI 10.1007/s13762-014-0649-1.
- Das, B., Islam, I. 2010 “Analyzing the Proposals of FAP 8A Project of Dhaka and Present Context of Retention Pond Areas and Canals”, Journal of Bangladesh Institute of Planners. Vol 3, pp. 89-102.
- Khan, A. M., Islam, I. 2010 “ Education and Development in Bangladesh : A Study from Spatial Perspective” Journal of Bangladesh Institute of Planners. Vol 3, pp. 1-16.
- Dutt, K. A., Islam, I., Humphreys, A., 2010 “ Resurgence and Post-resurgence Periods of Malaria in Bangladesh” in R. Akhtar, A. K. Dutt and V. Wadhwa (eds) Malaria in South Asia: Eradication and Resurgence During the Second Half of the Twentieth Century, New York: Springer pp.87-106.
- Shakur, T. Islam I. Javera,M. 2010. “What Culture, Whose Space and Which Technology? The Contested Transformation and the Changing Historic Built Environments of South Asia”, International Journal of Architectural Research, Vol 4. No. 1 pp. 7-19.
- Khan, A. M., Islam, I. 2009, “Health Related Issues in Bangladesh: A Study from Spatial Perspective”, Jahangir Nagar Planning Review. Vol: 7 pp. 77-88.
- Islam, I., Sharmin, M. Masud, F., and Moniruzzaman, M., 2009 “Urban Consolidation Approach for Dhaka City: Prospects and Constraints” Global Built Environment Review, Vol 7.1, Edge Hill University, UK, pp. 50-68,.
- Islam, I. and Gani, M., S., A., Commercial Land Use in Dhaka: An Analysis of Trend and Pattern in R. Hafiz (ed.) in R. Hafiz and G. Rabbani (eds.) 400 Years of Capital Dhaka and Beyond,Vol: 3 Urbanization and Urban Development of Dhaka in the process of publication byAsiatic Society.
- Akther, S., Islam, I., Study on Distribution Pattern And Existing Condition of Open Space In Dhaka City in Anwarul Islam (ed.) Plant Wildlife Garden and Environment of Capital Dhaka the process of publication byAsiatic Society, Dhaka
- Akther S, I Islam and Hassan, M. M., “Evaluation of Municipal Services in selected Wards of Dhaka City Corporation: Citizen’s Perspective”; S Coleska et al (eds) Theoretical and Empirical Researches on Urban Management, Special Issue: Urban Issues in Asia, pp. 133-145; 2009.
- Jahan, S., Islam, I., Takao, K., and Kanegae, H. “Shrinkage of Wetlands of Dhaka: A Study from Institutional Perspective” Studies in Regional Science, published by Japan Section of the RSAI, vol. 38 No. 4. pp. 861-875, 2008
- Islam, I., Takao, K., and Kanegae, H. “Socio-cultural Context in Conservation of Wetland: A Case of Dhaka Metropolitan Area”, Journal of Policy Science. Volume 14, No.2. pp. 135-149, Japan, 2007
- Islam, I., Mitra, S. K., Shohag, M. A. N., “Land Price in Dhaka City: Distribution, Characteristics and Trend of Changes”. In S. Jahan and K.M. Maniruzzaman (ed.) Urbanization in Bangladesh Patterns, Issues and Approaches to Planning, Bangladesh Institute of Planners: Dhaka. 2007.
- Islam, I. “Diminishing Wetland and Destiny of Dhaka” (reviewed and accepted for the book in 2007) Of Cities and Regions Edited by R. Hafiz. To be published from Dhaka.
- Islam, I., Noble, A. G., “Mosque Architecture in Bangladesh: The Archetype and its Changing Morphology”. Journal of Cultural Geography, Vol: 17. Spring/Summer No:2. P.5-25. USA. 1998.
- Islam, I., “Urban Land Use Policy for Bangladesh: Towards a Sustainable Future” in F. Ahmed (ed.) Proceeding Bangladesh Environment 2000,, BAPA, Dhaka, 2000
Contribution in Published Books
- Islam, I., Akther, S., Jahan, N. and Hossain, I. (2015). Displacement and Migration from Cyclone-affected Coastal Areas. In B. Mallick and B. Etzold (Eds). Environment, Migration and Adaptation Evidence and Politics of Climate Change in Bangladesh. AHDPH, Dhaka.
- Islam, I, Kaiyum, A., Shuvo, F.K., Shetu, S.A., Rahman, K.F. and Oakil, A. (2015). Urban Environmental Management. In A. Mahmud & M. Jahangir (Eds.), Dhaka for Future Generations: Our Action . Dhaka, Bangladesh: Bangladesh Institute of Planners (BIP) and Centre for Development Communication (CDC)
- Islam, Ishrat. Wetland of Dhaka City: A Study from Social Economic and Institutional Perspective, 2009 A H Development Publishing House: Dhaka.
Conference and Seminar Proceedings
- Islam, I. Gani,M. S. A., Mostafizur, M. R., Abu, M. S. “An Analysis of Spatial Structure of Dhaka: Associated Problems and Issues,” The Tenth Asian Urbanization Conference, Hongkong, 16-19 August, 2009,
- Adri, N. and Islam, I., “Waterlogged Areas of Bangladesh: A Study on Peoples' Vulnerability and Coping Mechanisms”, Annual Conference of Association of American Geographers, Washington DC, USA, 9-10 April, 2010.
- Jahan, I., Ansary, A., M. Ara, S., Islam, I. Assessing Social Vulnerability to Earthquake Hazards in Old Dhaka, Bangladesh, Proceedings of the 3rd International Earthquake Symposium, Bangladesh (IESB-3), BUET, Dhaka March 5-6, 2010.
- Khan, M., A., Islam, I. “Education in Bangladesh A Study from Spatial Perspective” International Conference Bangladesh in the 21st Century, organized by Bangladesh Development Initiative (BDI) at Harvard University, Boston USA. Oct 9-10, 2009.
- Sultana, N., Majumder, S., Sharmin, S. and Islam, I. “A Spatial Distribution of Infrastructures in the Districts of Bangladesh”. International Conference Bangladesh in the 21st Century, organized by Bangladesh Development Initiative (BDI) at Harvard University, Boston USA. June 13-14, 2008. (published in CD).
- Jahur, M. Islam, I., “Gap Between Expectation and Reality: A Study on Housing Affordability by Middle Income Group of Dhaka”. 10th Summer Institute, Pacific Regional Science Conference Organization May 15-16, Dhaka, 2008. (published in CD).
- Tauhid, A. B. M. and Islam, I., “Accessibiity of Physically Challenged People to Built Environment in Dhaka City”. 10th Summer Institute, Pacific Regional Science Conference Organization May 15-16, Dhaka, 2008. (published in CD).
- Sultana, N., Majumder, S., Sharmin, S. and Islam, I. “Spatial Dependence of Regions for Distribution of Infrastructures in the Districts of Bangladesh”. 10th Summer Institute, Pacific Regional Science Conference Organization May 15-16, Dhaka, 2008. (published in CD).
- Noor, N. A., Sultana, N., Qulsum, U., Islam, I., Parvin, G. A. and Sharmeen, F., “Upgrading the Life Style of Slum Dwellers Using Participatory Planning Approach ( A Case Study of Baunia Bandh Slum, Mirpur II)”, 10th Summer Institute, Pacific Regional Science Conference Organization May 15-16, Dhaka, 2008. (published in CD).
- Roy, S., Islam, I. “Study on Private Residential Land Development Activities in Dhaka and their Compatibility with DMDP Structure Plan 1995-2015”.presented in the 1st Annual Conference on Regional Science, Bangladesh Regional Science Association (BRSA) March 16-17 Dhaka, 2007 (published in CD).
- Islam, I., Kanegae, H., Takao, K,. “Urbanization Process and Loss of Wetland of Dhaka” The 19th Pacific Regional Science Conference, July 25-28, Tokyo, Japan, 2005, (published in CD).
- Islam, I., Arif, Q. M. “Transformation of Architecture for Shopping Facilities in Bangladesh: Perplexity between Economics,Environment and Equity” published in the conference proceeding of Passive and Low Energy Architecture (PLEA) 20th International Conference 9-12 November , Santiago de Chile, 2003.
- Khan, A., Islam I, and Akther, S., “A Study on Water Consumption Pattern in Selected Slums of Dhaka City” Souvenir of Habitat Day Seminar on Water Supply and Sanitation, Dhaka, BIP, CUS: Dhaka, October, 2003.
- Arif, Q.M. and Islam, I. “Urban Dwelling in Tropical Climate of Bangladesh: Guidelines for Energy Conscious and Contextual Architecture”, published in the conference proceeding of Passive and Low Energy Architecture (PLEA)19th International Conference, pp. 523-528, Toulose, France, July 21-24, 2002.
- Mohit, MA, Islam, I., “Participation of Women at Different Levels of Urban Governance in Bangladesh: A Review” Souvenir of Habitat Day Seminar on Women in Urban Governance, , Ministry of Housing and Public Works: Dhaka, 2000
- Islam, I. “Wetland Management in Response to Climate Change Impact on Flood Scenario of Dhaka” Bangladesh Water Security Workshop, 2008 organized by Ritsumeikan Research Center for Sustainability Science (RCS), Kyoto, Japan. Nov 29 - 30, 2008.
- Islam, I. Wetland Management in Dhaka: Recent Institutional Efforts and Associated Constraints Water Security Workshop 2011, organized by Ritsumeikan Research Center for Sustainability Science (RCS), Kyoto, Japan. February 11 - 13, 2011.
Research, Projects and Experiences
- Worked as Sub project manager in the UGC granted HEQEP (Higher quality Education Enhancement Program) sub-project tilted as: “Modernization of data analysis and simulation lab in the Department of Urban & Regional Planning, BUET” (from January, 2010 to present) .
- Worked as Deputy Team Leader in the Integrated Water Supply, Sanitation and Hygiene Planning (GOB-UNICEF) Project started from May, 2011.
- Worked as a planner, intern in Medina County Planning Commission, USA in 1997.
- Worked as a planner, intern in Summit County Planning Commission, USA in 1996-1997.
- Worked as an Architect in Aangik Architecture, Interior & Graphic Design and Dhaka (from July, 1991 to November, 1993).